PAVEMENT DESIGN FOR COLD RECYCLED MATERIALS
Early Stage Researcher
After completing a BSc and a MSc in Chemical Engineering by “Universidad Politécnica de Madrid”, Helena Worked in Quality Control and Environmental departments for Talgo S.L. After this experience she assisted as Laboratory technician in Repsol S.A., developing new applications for by-products from refinery. Here, Helena started working with bitumen and got in contact with the asphalt industry. Now, she is working for AECOM and the University of Nottingham as part of the Marie Curie SUP&R ITN project.
Background of the problem
Sustainable projects should take into account the environmental, social and economical impacts. In the environmental side we should avoid waste generation, reduce raw materials consumption and save energy. This is why using cold techniques for recycling old pavements is an economical and environmental solution. This is especially important when tar is present in old pavements, as this material cannot be heated or used as unbound material and cold recycling presents the most advantageously solution.
Project objectives and methodology:
- Literature and field experience review on performance of cold-mix asphalt, in-situ and off-site recycled, and pavement design methods.
- Design the most appropriate laboratory test programme. Measure effects of key variables on performance. Establish practical limitations on the use of cold in-situ and off-site recycled materials.
- Develop a pavement design methodology. Propose appropriate specifications and design guidance for airfield authorities and practitioners.
From the literature review I decided to focus on Airfield pavement design with cold recycled materials, as the concerns about this material behaviour is stopping authorities and practitioners to use it. I also selected foamed bitumen as the cold technique, as is the most commonly used in the UK.
After this literature review a research plan was established:
- SUP&R ITN week Nottingham. September 2014
- Project presentation
- Introduction to Pavements and Railways
- Introduction to sustainability concepts and life cycle assessment
- How to plan your research
- Management tools for the project
- SUP&R ITN week Nottingham. January 2015
- Science outreach programme
- Career and employability
- Getting your research publish
- Establishing your digital profile
- SUP&R ITN week Dublin. March 2015
- Project update
- Track, ballast and bridges maintenance
- Personal track safety
- Innovation workshop
- Tourof CTC and Irish Rail with driving simulation
- Spring school Delft. June 2015
- Introduction to Finite Element Method (FEM)
- Training on CAPA-3D
- Use of FEM analysis to determine service life of pavements
- Summer school Palermo. September 2015
- Climate change and the rail track/ Highway Engineer
- Life cycle assessment for railways and pavements
- LCA and LCCA workshops
- Sustainable design
- Sustainability assessment tools
- Constitutive modelling in transport infrastructure design (fractional calculus)
- Winter school Granada. February 2016
- Autumn school Madrid-Huelva. Bituminous products for sustainable asphalt technologies. October 2016
- Bitumen and polymer modified bitumens
- Bitumen emulsions
- Hot mix asphalt
- Cold mix asphalt
- Polymers: properties, productions and recycling
- Colloidal dispersion
- Laboratory workshops
- Industry day
- Winter school Nantes. Road and Railways European Research. January 2017
- Introduction to sustainability
- How green is that product? An introduction to Life Cycle Environmental assessment
- Mastering bitumen for better roads and innovative applications
- Establishing a digital presence for your research
- Latex for engineers
- Outreach activities:
- Mansfield science day
- Mayfest, University of Nottingham
- 8th International RILEM Symposium. Testing and Characterization of Sustainable & Innovative Bituminous Materials. SIB 2015 Ancon, Italy
- TRA 2016. 18-21 April, Warsaw, Poland.
- 6th Euroasphalt & Eurobitume congress. 1-3 June 2016, Prague.
- TRB. 8-13th January 2017
- Mansfield science day
- AECOM training:
- Lunchtime presentations
- Workshops (MPTRN, Elmod6 and life calculation, TensarPave)
- Participation in projects (Gatwick and RAF Waddington)
- Management and leadership (AECOM University)
- University of Nottingham
- Laboratory security
- Equipment training
NEXT EVENTS: Come and see us!!!!
- BCRRA 2017 conference. Athens 28-30 June 2017
Here you can find some presentations about the project:
FEBRUARY 2015: JMLU conference
SEPTEMBER 2015: RILEM Ancona
- “LABORATORY TRIALS OF COLD RECYCLED FOAMED BITUMEN ASPHALT: RAF WADDINGTON”. 2015 Asphalt, Pavement Engineering and Infrastructure Conference, 11-12 February 2015, Liverpool, UK. http://www.degruyter.com/
- “COMPARISON BETWEEN LABORATORY RESULTS FOR COLD RECYCLED BOUND MATERIALS AND DBM 50 USED IN AIRFIELD PAVEMENTS”. 6th Euroasphalt & Eurobitume congress”. 1-3 June 2016, Prague.
- “ANALYSIS OF THE FAILURE MECHANISM OF COLD RECYCLED BOUND MATERIALS EVALUATING FATIGUE PERFORMANCE BASED ON DISSIPATED ENERGY, DISPLACEMENT RATIO AND ENERGY STIFFNESS RATIO”. TRB, 8-13th January 2017, Washington