Local training activities
The SUP&R ITN fellows will conduct their research primarily at their host institutions but complemented with network-wide supervision arrangements. This local training features a number of important elements, including:
- Each ESR/ER will have individual scientific and on-the-job training provided by academic and industry partners and tailored to his/her specific research project.
- The ESR/ER will be encouraged to interact with the local research group at their host institution. This will include research forums, national symposiums and meetings. This approach will ensure that the ESR/ER achieves a true perspective of the research being conducted at the local level. Similarly, perspectives acquired during this secondment can be brought back to the host institution and shared with fellow researchers.
- Most of the partners are located at universities with strong post-graduate programmes with modules on various topics related to managing transport infrastructure. The ESRs will have access to these modules, which include scientific lectures, but also generic research methods, project management, etc.
- At the very initial stage of the programme, if needed all the fellows will be provided language courses from the host institutions.
Network-wide training activities
This training will be offered network-wide and will focus on the skills that fellows will need to develop during and after the development of the their PhDs. This training will offer the opportunity to fellow to team up and to provide them with a great exposure to the industrial partners. The training programme will launch with a kick-off meeting to introduce the fellows to SUP&R ITN, to build up team spirit and to deliver the basic scientific training. Furthermore, network-wide meetings, workshops, summer schools, training weeks and outreach activites will be organised at least once a year. Network-wide training activities will be coordinated by the University of Nottingham but will take place at the different institutions of the consortium.
Here the calendar and details of the on-going training programme which will be constantly updated:
- 2014 Sep – Nottingham (UK) – Scientific Introduction on Sustainable roads and railways
- 2015 Jan – Nottingham (UK) – Complementary skills
- 2015 Mar – Dublin (IE) – Railway engineering – OPEN
- 2015 Mar – Nottingham – Outreach and Complementary Skills
- 2015 Jun – Delft (NL) – Advanced Scientific training with Dr. Scarpas of TU Delft
- 2015 Sep – Palermo (IT) – Sustainable development of Civil engineering – OPEN
- 2016 Feb – Granada (ES) -“From research to Sustainable Pavement and Railway to implementation in Practical engineering Projects”
- 2016 Oct – Madrid (ES) – “Bituminous Products for Sustainable Asphalt Technologies”
- 2017 Jan- Nantes (FR) – “European Research on Roads and Railways”
The training activities will be generally reserved for SUP&R ITN fellows but they will be occasionally opened to external participants. Contact us for details and questions